Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Post Katrina NOLA yaddah

Going to the grocery store is so aggravating right now, mainly because the hours are still rather limited, so everyone has to go right after work for the hour or two before the stores close.  In Uptown, most places have reopened, except for Whole Foods on Magazine Street which I heard was reopening on February 1st.  I am excited about that since they have great stuff, though the staff is a bit stuck up for a supermarket.  I miss the Wal-Mart, but it is hard to say when that is going to reopen as it was hit really hard by looters.  
Another gripe I got is with Starbucks.  They have a few locations in Orleans Parish, fortunately nothing like in other cities because we here are pretty loyal to our local brands and the native coffee shops are much better than Starbucks anyway.  But my gripe with them is that none of their locations have reopened in the city.  I understand about work shortages and such, but operate with limited hours.  They are a huge company and could really contribute to the local situation.  I can’t help but conclude this is one often-cited side effect of corporate globalization:  no real ties to the community in which the corporation is doing business other than the pursuit of profits.

No comments:

Post a Comment